Tuesday, November 4, 2014

The Traveling Public

I've been traveling my entire life.  In fact, my first trip I was about 10 weeks old and we went to FL, not that I remember.  None the less, I've been doing this a LONG time. I feel naked when I'm waiting on a passport renewal. I live about 7 minutes from my airport and use it frequently. Like weekly. I'm there for drop off/pick up/fly in/fly out. We talk in airport codes at our house.  Typical travel conversation:

"Where's your connection? DEN or MSP"
"MSP but it's tight. Thankfully I can reroute through ATL if its late."
"OK, I watch on FlightTracker"

I have more than a clue about how it's all supposed to operate.

[Hint: if you don't know and want to find out check CNN's 24 Hours at ATL]

So I feel like I can say that generally I dislike the fact that everyone travels now and most are amateurs at it.  People don't pay attention and then they complain. Security is my favorite. 

Unless you were in a coma during 9/11 and it's aftermath, you know that security worldwide has changed. (Heathrow not withstanding, it's always been terrible there.) Seriously, I wish all airports had lines for "Seasoned Travelers."   


But for those of you who are not regulars a few tips for security lines:
  1. You need a VALID picture ID! I really love those people who get to the TSA agent and hand them a ticket and social security card or credit card for ID.  Umm, really? That's the best you can do? Guess you missed the part about ID when you bought your ticket.
  2. If you are between the ages 12 and 75 take off your shoes - I highly recommend slip-ons vs. laces, unless of course you enjoy or more likely are oblivious, to the back up you are creating while tying your shoes.
  3. If you have a laptop, take it out of the bag and put it in a plastic bin - ALONE.
  4. Take off your coat, hoodie, sweater, superhero cape or whatever. Put it on the xray belt.
  5. Carry-ons? Hand bag? Back pack? All goes on the xray belt.
  6. Empty your pockets. All of them. Everything. Yep, cell phone too.
  7. Big belt buckle, big metal jewelery or hair clip? Take them off.
  8. Everything off? Are you sure? 
  9. Great! walk through wherever you are directed.
  10. Clear? Fabulous! pick up your stuff off the belt and get the hell out of the way. FAST!
You'd think this wasn't rocket science but apparently it is for the large majority of the traveling public. (Otherwise I'd write about something else today) I think George Clooney's character nicely sums up how it should be done in this clip from Up in the Air

My other solution to this is if you don't travel at least once every six months you need to take a class on navigating the airport and proper etiquette before you are allowed through security. Maybe even before you get to the airport... just a thought.

TSA Traveler Info
Just go here before you attempt security on your own.




No comments:

Post a Comment